There are plenty of methods that can help you lose significant weight fast.
But most of them are not the best or right way to go about it. Some involve starving yourself… which is not healthy.
If you choose to go the famine route, it is easy to give up early because most people can’t stand going hungry for extended periods.
The weight management plan in this guide will:
- Significantly lower appetite for food
- Help you lose weight quickly without the need to starve yourself
- Make improvements to the body’s metabolic processes in general
Follow the 3 simple and easy plans below to lose weight fast.
1. Reduce Intake of Sugars and Carbs (Starch)
The most important step in losing weight is to lower sugar and carbs intake significantly.
Sugars and carbs are the primary stimulants for insulin secretion. The amount of insulin in the blood is the most significant factor in how much fat the body stores. Insulin encourages fat storage and prevents the body from using stored fats for energy.
By lowering blood insulin levels, the body stores less fat and burns fats, instead of carbs, for energy.
Your kidneys can store sodium and water which makes your abdomen bloat from water weight. When you lower insulin levels in the blood, it encourages the liver to shed this excess sodium and water (a, b).
It is quite common for people who go on low carbs and low sugar diets to lose up to 10 pounds (in both fat and water weight) in just the first week alone.
The graph below is from one study that compared the effectiveness of low-carb and low-fat diets. You can see that a low-carb diet is clearly more effective in losing weight faster than a low-fat diet (c).
Low-carb diets are not as calorie-limited as low-fat diets. You, therefore, don’t feel as hungry on low-fat diets as you will on low-fat diets.
Reducing carbs translates into lower insulin levels. Lower insulin means eating fewer calories without feeling hungry (d).
If you want to lose weight fast, it is essential that you reduce insulin levels in your body.
Conclusion: Sugars and carbohydrates (starch) raise insulin levels, making you eat more. Eliminate or reduce these two foods significantly and lose weight without feeling hungry.
2. Consume Meals High in Proteins, Fats, and Vegetables
To lose weight, you must lower the amount of carbs you consume significantly. You should then increase the amount of proteins, fats, and low-calorie vegetables in your meal. When your meals are mainly made up of these three food groups, you start to lose weight naturally without going hungry. This combination ensures your carb intake stays within the recommended 20 to 50 grams per day range for weight loss.
The best protein sources:
Add the following proteins to your diet for optimal weight loss.
- Meats – Poultry (particularly chicken breasts), Beef, Lamb, Pork, etc.
- Fish – (Salmon and trout) and other seafood such as lobster, prawns, shrimps, etc.).
- Eggs are also an excellent source of protein.
Most people don’t realize the need to include a high quantity of protein in their meals.
It has been proven that you can reduce how often you think about food by as much as 60% when you eat meals high in protein. This lowers your desire to eat late night snacks. High protein meals can also reduce your daily calorie intake by as much as 440 calories (h, i).
For people wanting to lose weight, protein should be the most important nutrient in your diet.
Low- carb vegetables
It is also important to include plenty of low-carb vegetables in your diet. The following is a list of some of the best vegetables for weight loss.
- Check out the complete list here.
These vegs contain so little carbohydrates that you can consume a lot of it without exceeding the recommended 20 to 50 daily carbs intake for losing weight.
You can be healthy without carbs in your meals. Proteins and vegetables have the nutrients and fiber needed for a healthy meal. Reducing or eliminating carbs from your diet does not put you at any physiological risk.
When you eliminate or significantly reduce carbs, your body needs a new source of energy. This is where fats come in.
But it doesn’t mean every source of fat is good for weight loss. Add the following types of fats to your reduced carbs diets.
- Olive oil (extra virgin is even better).
- Avocado oil
- Coconut oil
You are encouraged to eat 2 to 3 low-carb meals a day. You can get an additional afternoon meal if you get hungry.
We’ve been taught in the past to fear fats, but they are essential when you go on a low-fat diet. Some people try to eliminate or reduce both fats and carbs at the same time. You’ll fail your weight loss goals if you go in this direction. It will make you feel so hungry that you’ll just give up.
For cooking, use coconut oil. It is high in MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides). This type of fat makes you feel full and is also known to increase metabolism (j, k) slightly.
For a guide on how you can put together a healthy low-carb diet that will help you lose weight, check out our low-carb meal plans and our list of 100 low carb recipes.
Conclusion: To lose weight, your meal should primarily consist of proteins, fats, and low-carb vegetables. This significantly lowers the amount of carbs and sugars in your diet. This is good for losing weight.
3. Lift Weights About 3 Times in a Week
You can lose weight with low-carb diets without exercise. However, you are encouraged to include exercise into your plan if you want to lose weight faster.
The ideal workout is to lift weight about 3 times every week. For those who struggle to exercise or are new to working out, it is best to join a gym. If you can hire a personal trainer to help, that is even better.
Weight lifting also helps you gain muscle. You don’t want to look like a stick after burning all that fat (p).
For those who can’t do weightlifting, there are other effective weight loss exercises you can do. Try running, fast walking, jogging swimming and cardio workouts such as Zumba.
Conclusion: Although not necessary, it is highly recommended that you incorporate weight lifting or other exercises into your plan.
Optional: Eat Carbs Once a Week
When on a low-carb plan, you can choose one “cheat day” to consume higher amounts of carbs.
Don’t indulge in this “cheat” day more than once a week. If you slip into doing it often, you will not see the full benefits of this plan.
You can use this day to eat other “unhealthy” foods but only on this “cheat” day.
It is common to put on a little water weight on the “cheat day”, but you should lose this weight within the next couple of days.
Conclusion: You can up-regulate some fat burning hormones by eating carbs once a week. However, this is not necessary and can be skipped.
Calories and Serving Portions
Throughout this article, I have not mentioned calorie counts or portion sizes. This is because you don’t need to worry about calories and portion control when on a very low-carb diet with plenty of protein, low-carb veggies, and fats.
But if you want to know how many calories are in your meal, a calorie calculator will help.
On that page, register your information and select from either the “lose weight” or lose weight fast” columns. What you choose should be based on how fast you want to lose weight.
There are a lot of wonderful apps and web applications that help you keep track of calorie and nutrition content of the food you eat. Visit this page for a list of the 5 best calorie counters.
Just remember that you should limit carbs intake to about 20 to 50 grams per day. Your primary source of calories should come from fats and proteins.
Conclusion: You don’t need to worry about calories or portions when on a very low-carb, low sugar diet plan. You only need to worry about keeping your carb intake below 50 grams per day.
10 Tips to Make Weight Loss Easier and Faster
- Consume a breakfast high in protein: Studies have revealed that when your breakfast has high amounts of protein in it, you tend to eat less for the rest of the day (r, s, t).
- Eliminate sugary drinks and processed fruit juice: Sugar is only second to carbs when it comes to fat build-up. You’ll be surprised how much sugar is in fruit juice. Avoid them to lose more weight (u, v).
- Drink water before eating a meal. You should drink a glass of water about half an hour before eating a meal. There was a study that indicates that you could lose 44% more weight over a 3-month period by simply doing this (w).
- Eat foods that help you lose weight: Some foods help you lose weight. Find these foods on our list of the 20 best weight loss friendly foods.
- Eat fiber: It is important to eat soluble fiber, especially if you want to lose fat around the belly area. If you can’t get enough fiber from natural sources, try a fiber supplement such as glucomannan (x, y, z).
- Consume tea and coffee: Coffee and tea have been found to increase metabolism by as much as 3 to 11%. Just avoid adding sugar or milk to them (a1, b1, c1).
- Avoid processed foods: Whole foods is the way to go for weight loss. They make you feel fuller and are generally healthier.
- Take your time: slow down when eating. It can take a while for your body to register the food you eat. When you eat fast, you consume too much food before your body registers it and you feel full. Eat slowly to feel full with less food and, also, increase the levels of weight reducing hormones (d1, e1, f1).
- Serve food on smaller plates: research has shown that you tend to consume less food when you use smaller plates. Even big portions look small on large plates (g1).
- Sleep well: It is essential that you get a good night of sleep, every night. Not getting enough sleep can lead to weight gain. Sleeping well is important for weight loss (h1, i1).
Conclusion: Apart from the three important rules, follow the tips above to speed up the process even more.
What are the benefits and how fast would I Lose Weight?
You can lose between 5 and 10 pounds within the first week of going on the very low-carb diet plan. After the first week, you should expect to lose about 4 pounds per week consistently.
The trick is to follow the plan strictly.
In general, you tend to lose more weight quickly when there’s more of it to lose. This means if you have more stored fat, this will burn off faster than someone with less fat. That is why you lose more weight in the first week than in subsequent weeks.
At the beginning of the plan, you might get a strange feeling. This is your body switching from burning carbs to burning your fat reserves. It takes a while for the body to get used to this switch.
This feeling is often referred to as “low carb flu.” It doesn’t last long and should only last a few days. If it becomes too uncomfortable, add sodium to your diet. It will help lower the side-effects of switching to a low-carb diet.
After getting through this initiation period, you should feel good and full of positive energy. You’ll be happy with this new feeling while burning fat in your sleep.
For many years, there has been an anti-fat agenda, but low-carb diets (which include higher fat intake) provide other health benefits.
- It lowers blood sugar levels (j1, k1).
- They help lower triglycerides levels (l1, m1)
- It lowers LDL cholesterol (the bad type) levels (n1, o1).
- It increases the level of HDL cholesterol (the good type) (p1).
- They can make improvements to blood pressure (q1, r1).
- And low-carb diets are much easier to follow and complete than low-fat diets.
Conclusion: How fast you lose weight depends on how much fat you have. However, you should expect to lose plenty of weight on this plan. There are many other health benefits of low-carb diets.
You don’t have to go Hungry to lose weight.
Those with medical conditions should consult their doctor before going on this plan. This plan can change your medication requirements.
This plan can make changes to your hormonal environment, telling your brain to lose weight.
This significantly lowers your appetite and how often you feel hungry. The feeling of hunger is the main reason people fail with other weight loss plans.
You also start to notice a significant drop in weight in the first few days after going on this plan. This motivates you to keep it going. One of the other reasons people lose interest in other plans is that they keep checking the scales and don’t see much gains.
Check out our “healthy, 10-minute low-carb meals” page for some delicious and easy-to-make low carb meals.
Use this plan to lose fat without going hungry.
Read more articles about how to lose weight:
- 6 Easy and Proven Ways to Get Rid of Belly Fat (the first and seconds ways are crucial).
- How to Lose 10 Pounds in A Week With These 7 Steps
- The Military Diet – All You Need to Know, Including A Meal Plan
- How Many Calories Should I Eat Per Day to Lose Weight?
- The Top 20 Most Weight Loss Friendly Foods In The World